Skip to main content

REMEMBER WHEN: "Battle of the Planets"


Lisa forwarded a fun e-mail to me today, it was about childhood in the black and white TV era and it got me to thinking about other shows from my youth that I really enjoyed. I remember going home after school (with my best friend Chuck) while in Jr. High and watching "Battle of the Planets". I think it was on at 3:30 in the afternoon, but I can't remember if it was on WTEN (10), WNYT (13) or WRGB (6).

Anyway, this blast from the past always puts a smile on my face. And to think we got the watered down, anglo-sized version of the show, imagine how much better it could have been if we got the original Japanese run.

For those of you born in the 90's this was our version of "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers". Five teens, each with his own color and special vehicle to drive, would be able to combine them into the Phoenix, a very kick-ass space ship. They would defend the earth against all manner of beasty sent to destroy our planet by the evil Zoltar. One of those major changes to clean up this show for American audiences was the fact that Zoltar was transgender! Oh those crazy Japanese!

OK, watch this clip of the series opener as I remember it, and take a little trip into the past...



BotP @ Wikipedia

Comments