Skip to main content

The Rocketeer vs. Captain America


From FILM+TV on 9/3/10

At least that’s how it would be touted in the funny books if The Rocketeer made an appearance in Captain America.

When it was announced that Joe Johnston was going to be directing “Captain America: The First Avenger” it rekindled my love affair with his other comic book hero adaptation (for Disney btw, who now owns Marvel): “The Rocketeer”. But it also left me a little worried, as it has many of you, ‘cause Cliff and Peevy didn’t fare so well at the box office and most of the blame of course falls on the director. Of course I loved “The Rocketeer” and having just re-watched it I got to thinking; ‘Wouldn’t it be cool if The Rocketeer made an appearance in Captain America?’

Seriously, think about it. Even though IDW now owns the comic rights to “The Rocketeer” I bet Disney still owns the film rights (I’m just guessing) and they now own Marvel Comics and Captain America. Marvel Studios hires former Disney Productions director Joe Johnston (Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, The Rocketeer, Hidalgo) to direct the Marvel Studios/Disney Co. film adaptation of the Star Spangled Avenger.

And think about the fact that both characters exist in the same time period of some alternate reality (late 30’s early 40’s) on the brink of WWII (and then in the war) and they both end up fighting Nazis while using cutting edge technology (a rocket pack & the super-soldier serum) to protect the U. S. of A.

The geek in me would LOVE to see a fully costumed Rocketeer standing side-by-side with Cap as they kick the crap out of the Red Skull and his gang, but I don’t think that’s really the way to go. Instead I would like a cool, blink and you miss it cameo appearance by Cliff Secord - and maybe Jenny too - at some USO event where they cross paths with Steve Rogers/Captain America. You know, shake hands; get an autograph something silly like that. A wink and a nod to the Disney/Johnston connection.

Okay, pardon me while I go daydream some more.

Comments