Skip to main content

Vintage Walt Disney World Photography: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

I only rode this ride a handful of times, on one visit to WDW, in the late '70's. But the skill of Disney's Imagineers, the magic of the Disney film and the Victorian steampunk sci-fi of Jules Verne has left a lasting impression. I am (almost) heart broken that Maddy will never get to experience the mysteries of the deep or the thrill of a giant squid attack for herself, good thing we have the movie for her to watch!

Anyway, I made a couple of purchases on eBay this week and picked up some great vintage photos of Walt Disney World. Among them are a Disney publicity shot of the 20k lagoon and one of the Nautilus subs...


I love the crew members in costume walking her deck, as if preparing to set sail from Vulcania!

These next pix are by the gentleman I purchased the photos from - Bill Cotter. check out his website for more great vintage photos on sale: World's Fair Photos






And here are some aerial views, shot during helicopter tours of the Magic Kingdom (I've highlighted the 20k ride's location):




And of course one thing leads to another and I did a quick browse of the interweb and found these sites that give a tip of the cap to Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea...
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
Vulcania Submarine
Crazed Fanboy Presents
Widen Your World

Comments

  1. Fantastic photos! I wish I could have ridden the 20,000 Leagues ride back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the ride! Still miss it today. I waited in the long lines and went on it every time I went to the Magic Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment